Skip to content

Plugins

edited July 2013 in Suggestions

Does Sendy have to ability to be extended with plugins or are there plans for this?

Comments

• Hi Brian,

Not at the moment but I'll consider this.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Ben

• I think this would be great too. Especially if they worked similar to Wordpress with actions and filters:
    Custom actions could be created that could say update a database entry when a user clicks a link in an email.
    Custom filters could be created for things like modifying an email just before it's sent.

• I'll add in my support for plugin development. One way to recoup the cost of adding it in would be to have a Sendy Plugin Marketplace - you could take a cut of any sales and purchases could automatically appear in your Sendy installation, making it easier for everybody all around.

• I also support this feature.
    I think plugins should be the easyest way for people to develop their own reports and other features, like an integrated SMS sender or extending the API for their own use.

• Any further update on the idea of plugins for sendy architecture?

Just an advice for Ben:
    There was a superb script for job boards called Jamit.com. Much like Sendy, that was also built by a single developer who owned the IP. In due course he found a job that made him so busy that he could not find the time to continue the product. By that time there was a sizeble install base and alot of independent plugins and contributions too.

When he abandoned it, I, and probably others, requested him to make it open source so that the product can continue but, for reasons unknown, he did do so, even though he had stopped charging for it later and the downloads are free since then. However, a great product died unnecessarily.

My advice to you therefore, would be to reconsider the technology and business model where you can continue to sell it, but allow the independent contributions (which can be free or paid - depending on the contributor) to easily integrate with it, and if at any time in future you find yourself too busy to support the product, then you can simply switch the licensing model to open source.

Great products like Sendy should flourish enormously.

• Hi Ben,

Thanks again for this wonderful App and your support. I just wondered if there have been any further developments on this?

Whilst I agree with much of what is said above, I understand that from Sendy's perspective, your current business model might work perfectly for you all. However, there are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with sendy to integrate it with my clients' websites more fluidly.

In order to do this, I'd like to be able to customise the api a little, adding more features that are bespoke to me and my clients. Of course, the most pressing issue for anyone in this situation, is maintenance. Therefore, - putting aside the whole 'Marketplace' question, because that would seem unlikely from the age of this thread - I wonder if you might offer some advice on extending API capability without losing changes upon upgrade of the core.

Thanks in advance, and again for the awesome work and support!

Gez