Skip to content

Is anyone else seeing increased sending speed with PHP7.4?

edited May 2020 in Questions

So I got several Sendy licenses, and was running them all on different Linode's. This week I decided to move everything to a single Linode and say "screw it to slow speeds" which decreased my spending from $450~ a month to $80 a month.

Well, I wasn't watching myself and left everything default PHP7.4 for the move, nor did I increase any PHP settings (memory). Since sticking with PHP7.4 my sending speed as not only stabilized on all my installs, but it's actually increased.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Just coming across this, but I've been running it on PHP 7.4, and that version is 5-10% faster than 7.3 in my tests. Depending on the version you were running before, it may be a large speed boost (from PHP5.6 for example), or a smaller speed increase from PHP7.0.x-7.3.

• Happen to have a rough % change from what you saw on 5.6?

• I'd be interested in some #'s as well. currently running PHP 7.2, just did a 132K campaign on a t3a.medium AWS instance. It took 3 hours and appeared that it was going to bomb out a few times.

Fortunately, it made it all the way through without any issues, so anywhere I can gain some speed (42 / sec is current sending rate, approved up to 100 / sec via AWS SES), would be a good thing. I may also need to bump up the values in the PHP config a bit as well.

• This came up in a recent search result... for others that come across this post, I found this link and it has good PHP benchmark results across a bunch of apps... long story short, PHP v5.6 is almost or nearly half the speed of v7.x generally speaking, def worth it to run v7.x or v8.x:

https://kinsta.com/blog/php-benchmarks/

This discussion has been closed.