Get answers quicker by searching

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

UTF8 Encoding in subscribers
  • Vote Up0Vote Down smorrsmorr
    Hello

I just imported a subscription list -- Many names have accents etc. These don't seem to be showing properly in the subscription list.

I noted that the mysql field for name in subscriptions is not set for utf8 encoding or collation.

1) is this a known issue and if so what is the time line for fixing
    2) if I send a campaign now, what will happen to the accented characters in the email
  • 6 Comments
  • Vote Up0Vote Down BenBen
    @smorr Can you change the encoding for the field, "name" in subscribers table to utf8 and see if it works?
    I did change the encoding but it still showed junk in the list. Not sure if the problem was replicated in the email.
    I just did a test by adding a name/email into one of my list and it's showing up correctly though:

Can you give me a few example of names with accented characters that shows up as junk on your list?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down jpanseljpansel
    Importing names with accents work perfectly on my side. Just make sure that the CSV is in UTF-8 by opening it with a text editor (like Coda on Mac, or Notepad ++ on Windows). Look for text encoding and convert it to UTF-8.

MS Excel does a bad job with CSV and does not always export in UTF-8.

No need to make any changes on the MySQL table.
    I did have the CSV encoded as utf-8 and the accents render fine in the database (using Sequel Pro as the app) but not in the subscriber list (via Sendy)

In the subscriber list I am getting H�nni rather than Hänni
    I'm using Sequel Pro too, can you change the encoding of the name field back to nothing?

I added the name Hänni to my installation and it shows up as Hänni:

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions