Skip to content

Autoresponder and Sending Delay

edited December 2012 in Questions
Hi, I am going to use the API to insert my customer records in to ta Thank You List with a Dripfeed Set Up. My question is daily i will be adding 500 address's the cron runds every minute to send out the thank you email. Will the system automatically observe the SES sending delay which is 5 emails per second

Thanks

Comments

• BenBen
    edited December 2012
    Hi @someguy,

Your use case looks to be quite unique. Also, I hope I understand your question correctly. Autoresponders won't use multi-threading to send emails. So emails will be sent one at a time. Usually the sending rate will be less than 5 emails per second (staying within your SES sending rate).

Also note that importing emails via CSV will not trigger your drip campaign. You may need to write a script to import emails via the API. Alternatively, manually add a unix timestamp to the join_date column in subscribers table after importing via CSV in order to trigger your drip campaign.

Thanks.

Ben
  • Here is the scenario

I have 500 New Customers Per Day

And the end of the day i will use a script to send them a thank you email using Drip Campaign.

at 8PM all 500 customers will be loaded in to the system using the API

My Cron Script will run and there will be 500 emails to be sent

Will it try and send all 500 emails together or is the system intelligent enough to know that it can only send 5 a second.

• Hi @someguy,

Autoresponders won't use multi-threading to send emails. So emails will be sent one at a time. Usually the sending rate will be less than 5 emails per second (staying within your SES sending rate).

Have you explored the option of adding each customer to the list as they come?

Thanks.
  • Yes i was thinking that or adding a 0.2 second delay in the loop of the autoresponser.php just to be on the safe side
  • @someguy You don't have to worry that the system will send more than 5 emails per second because through my past experience emails sent without multi-threading never reaches 5 emails per second.

I think adding each subscriber through the API as they come would be a better way. Emails sent by the autoresponder don't auto resume if your server ever times out as a result of taking too much time sending emails.
  • Ok I See

Now one other question

the delay on the auto responders of 3 days, is that accurate for example on the 1st at 12:45pm with a 3 day delay will be sent on the 4 with at 12:45pm
  • BenBen
    edited October 2013
    the delay on the auto responders of 3 days, is that accurate for example on the 1st at 12:45pm with a 3 day delay will be sent on the 4 with at 12:45pm
    Yes that's correct.
This discussion has been closed.