Get answers quicker by searching

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Merge tag without fallback
  • Vote Up0Vote Down shadowshadow

Hi Ben,

Would it be possible to have a merge tag without fallback required?

This is because our clients' lists have got the fields all filled up and they do not need any fallback.

Currently, when they do [Name], the mail merge doesn't work without the fallback bit. So their email is being sent out as Dear [Name] instead for those with a name.

• 10 Comments
  • Vote Up0Vote Down BenBen

Hi @shadow, except for the [Email] tag, you'll need to include ,fallback= even if you don't want to include any fallback.

• Vote Up0Vote Down shadowshadow

Hi Ben, noted on that. Hope that you can consider allowing just the plain tag without ,fallback= to work as well. Thank you.

• I would also suggest the creation of a [FirstName] tag, because several users fill their entire name on the sign up form. I don't think it would be that complicated to extract only the first word from the entire name (perhaps a split()[0] could do the trick).

Thanks in advance!

@shadow Yes I'll take that into consideration, thanks.

@janiosarmento You can use the default [Name,fallback=] tag as the first name, then create a custom field for the last name, eg. [LastName,fallback=].

I don't think it would be that complicated to extract only the first word from the entire name

That's a good suggestion but it may not work for names from certain races with opposite first/last name sequences.

• Vote Up0Vote Down KevinBKevinB

Would like the FirstName option, seems a bit to over formal by using the Name (Full Name ) :)

Hi @KevinB,

Use the default [Name,fallback=] tag as the first name then create a custom field for the last name, eg. [LastName,fallback=]. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• Vote Up0Vote Down spulpspulp

Hi Ben,

I tried using Hi [Name, fallback=]! in the "Thank you email" setup for one of my lists. It does not work... my test emails still shows Hi [Name, fallback=]!. Any ideas/suggestions?

Hi @spulp,

Personalization tags aren't supported in the 'Thank you email' setup in list settings.

Use autoresponders. Setup a 'Drip campaign' and send the user a welcome email 'immediately' after sign up.

Not only can you use personalization tags in autoresponders, you get to see a report of all emails sent out as well. Bounces will also be caught if an email is invalid.

Thanks.

Ben

• +1 for [FirstName]

@derivativemedia

Use [Name,fallback=] for first name then create a custom field for [LastName,fallback=].

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions