Skip to content

File not found. Make sure you specified the correct path.

edited September 2012 in Troubleshooting
After my cvs was successfully uploaded (2.7 mb, 120k emails, one column just with email addresses) the page refreshes and I get such an error. The uploads directory is set to 777. Any ideas?

Comments

• How is your CSV formatted? If you're just importing email addresses, your CSV still requires 2 columns, the 1st column empty and the 2nd column containing email addresses.

If your CSV is formatted correctly, it may be because your CSV file size is too huge, try splitting them up into multiple chunks.
  • edited September 2012
    CSV shouldn't need both columns (adding in the form below doesn't require it, so why should the CSV).
    Lack of the second column was the issue, I've tested in on a single row. However because real names had some unusual characters I filed to import it anyway. Due to misleading error I don't know what actually is wrong and which exactly row it didn't like.
    I managed to add 120k subscribers in four batches via the form below the CSV import.

The product is good but still immature. You should focus more on the CSV import. In my opinion in the first place your customers are people with big lists and they need import it easily.
  • BenBen
    edited September 2012
    We included a CSV format example for a reason:

It's a very simple instruction and it's totally out of my hands if anyone fails to follow it.
  • Ben, really? I put some effort to describe my use case, point you a few weaknesses of the app to help you to improve it and what you give me back is almost an inslut.

# The instructions don't state that the name column is mandatory. In the form below you have almost the same instructions but there you don't need the name part. Good apps are predictable.
    # Not everyone cares about the names, I send weekly 120k newsletters and I don't need them. The CSV import should be more flexible, anybody with huge list and who doesn't collect the names can't start with the app.
    # Your customers are rather people with huge lists (mailchimp is easier to start with and has decent free plan) so telling everyone that they should split the csv is wrong approach. The import should be smarter. The app should be more expensive (I spend more than $5 000 yearly to mailchimp) and more dedicated to power users.
    # Even when my csv file had correct format it failed to import (no timeout, instantly after uploading it gave me the error). It's hard to help yourself when the errors are misleading.
  • My reply wasn't meant to be an insult.

# The instructions don't state that the name column is mandatory. In the form below you have almost the same instructions but there you don't need the name part. Good apps are predictable.

Ben: I understand you fail to import your subscribers because your CSV file only includes 1 column. That is why I'm letting you know that you need to have 2 columns.

# Not everyone cares about the names, I send weekly 120k newsletters and I don't need them. The CSV import should be more flexible, anybody with huge list and who doesn't collect the names can't start with the app.

Ben: It's incorrect to say anybody with a huge list who doesn't collect names can't start with the app. Your CSV needs to have 2 columns. Even if you don't have names, the name column can be empty but it should exist. I can put more specific instructions based on your feedback. That is one of the reasons why I created this forum, to collect feedback.

# Your customers are rather people with huge lists (mailchimp is easier to start with and has decent free plan) so telling everyone that they should split the csv is wrong approach. The import should be smarter. The app should be more expensive (I spend more than $5 000 yearly to mailchimp) and more dedicated to power users.

Ben: Sendy is 'self hosted'. If it was a 'hosted' solution, we would jolly well make sure we tweak our server settings such that timeout won't occur. But we can't do that if it is out of our control.

# Even when my csv file had correct format it failed to import (no timeout, instantly after uploading it gave me the error). It's hard to help yourself when the errors are misleading.

Ben: We'll work on the error message. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Sendy is a 40$ product that runs perfectly on a 8$ shared hosting. I do not mind splitting a 120k contact list into 4 batches :)
    Sorry but I could not resist ;)

This discussion has been closed.