Skip to content

Ec2 micro strong enough to "sendy" 50k mails?

edited February 2013 in Questions

Hi, as new AWS user I'm eligible for one year Free Micro instance,
can I use it, or it could be better a Spot or Small, to send a monthly newsletter of about 50k (until now) mails?

Comments

• Hi @fatechand,

You should have no problems sending 50,000 emails on a micro instance. Even if you do have problems, you can scale up your instance easily at anytime.

Hope this helps.

Ben

• In my experience, an AWS micro instance can send via Sendy at about 5 mails per second. So your 50k list will take ~2.5 hours to send. It's your call if that's OK.

Importing your 50k list via Sendy will take much longer. My lists have some custom fields, but it seems to average about 2/s, importing 15k entries takes 2 hours. Anything bigger and it seems to just time out.

Scaling the instance is easy, but not instant. You make an image of the current instance, start a larger instance w/that image, then switch over the IP. However, you lose whatever happened on the server between the time you took the image, and the time you switch the IP over to the new instance. So it's not hard, but it's not entirely seamless. Though from the user's perspective there's no downtime.

• so do I have to set the mails per second rate? or is it just done from Amazon?
    I have no problem for time, my day-quota should start on 10k, so if I undrestood I shoud start Sendy using max 10k recipients lists. If it's true I will send my letter in 5 days, that's ok now.
    About Ec2 it's my first experience and my challenge (and game) is to try to make it work, I know I will need help and this is not the place to ask for it...

• I don't think you have to worry about the rate, Amazon will throttle you if it needs to.

If you're new to EC2, this guide may be useful: http://chiragchamoli.com/posts/step-by-step-guide-for-installing-lamp-stack-on-aws-ec2-instance/

• thanks, i'm on it now...

• Scaling the instance is easy, but not instant. You make an image of the current instance, start a larger instance w/that image, then switch over the IP

There's no need to make an image of the current instance. Just stop the instance, change the instance type then start the instance. Then re-associate your IP with the instance.

• That's true. If you don't mind the downtime that's a simpler method.

This discussion has been closed.