Skip to content

Sendy on IIS

edited February 2013 in Questions

I have a brand new windows based web server that is running our main site that is built in ASP.NET MVC. I have no experience with Linux or Apache. I do have a copy of PHPList that is currently running perfectly fine on this server using PHP for IIS and I have mySQL running on the same machine. My hope is to replace PHPList with Sendy, but it seems like running Sendy on a windows box is strictly forbidden.

Are there specific reasons that Sendy will not work in IIS with PHP? Is there any support for this coming anytime soon?

Does anyone have experience with this that could give me advice?

I really like what I am seeing with Sendy and hope to use it to replace PHPList, but learning Linux, Apache and everything else to go with it quickly makes this a very tough decision. I would appreciate some advice please.

Thanks for any help,
Doug

Comments

• BenBen
    edited February 2013

Hi Doug,

Are there specific reasons that Sendy will not work in IIS with PHP? Is there any support for this coming anytime soon?

There are no other reasons why Sendy "may" not work on Windows/IIS other than it has not been tested on it.

One user made Sendy work on Windows by editing the web.config settings. This is what he gave me (though I have not tested).

Here's the web.config settings required instead of .htaccess:

<rule name="Sendy all" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="sendy/([a-zA-Z0-9-]+)$" ignoreCase="true" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/sendy/{R:1}.php" appendQueryString="true" />
    </rule>

<rule name="Sendy: link tracker" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="sendy/l/([a-zA-Z0-9/]+)$" ignoreCase="true" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/sendy/l.php?i={R:1}" appendQueryString="true" />
    </rule>

<rule name="Sendy: open tracker" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="sendy/t/([a-zA-Z0-9/]+)$" ignoreCase="true" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/sendy/t.php?i={R:1}" appendQueryString="true" />
    </rule>

<rule name="Sendy: web version" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="sendy/w/([a-zA-Z0-9/]+)$" ignoreCase="true" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/sendy/w.php?i={R:1}" appendQueryString="true" />
    </rule>

<rule name="Sendy: unsubscibe" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="sendy/unsubscribe/(.*)$" ignoreCase="true" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/sendy/unsubscribe.php?i={R:1}" appendQueryString="true" />
    </rule>

<rule name="Sendy: subscribe" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="sendy/subscribe/([a-zA-Z0-9/]+)$" ignoreCase="true" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/sendy/subscribe.php?i={R:1}" appendQueryString="true" />
    </rule>

Thanks.

Ben

• But I'd highly recommend running Sendy on Linux. Find a host that supports it (almost all hosting companies in the world supports it). Or install LAMP stack on Amazon EC2.

• Thanks for the info. I will work with it and see what I can get.

• We have internal servers for the project. Remote isn't an option.

• Hi @drobertson123,

We have internal servers for the project. Remote isn't an option.

Sorry it didn't work out. Let me know if you want me to refund and cancel your license.

Sendy isn't tested to work on Windows and it's reflected on Sendy homepage under requirements to use a Unix like server but you may have missed it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.