Skip to content

Why it takes 6 hours to send to about 5k list?

edited March 2013 in Troubleshooting

Hi,

Im installing sendy in Amazon EC2 micro instance and it takes me about 6 hours just to send to 5000 list (HTML file size about 55kb).

My amazon SES quota is 50.000 per 24hrs with rate 14 msg/second. Im still using Sendy 1.1.4 by the. When it was "sending", my memory usage was about 45% and CPU less than 5%. If using simple calculation, with 14 msg/second I should able to send 50.400 msg per Hour (14 x 60 seconds x 60 minutes).

Any suggestion what might have caused the slow delivery?

thanks.

ms

Comments

• Hi @marwazihs,

Did you set up a cron job to send your emails? I suspect you're not using a cron job, so multi-threading isn't used to send your emails but instead it sends one email at a time.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi @Ben,

I have set the cronjob according to your guidance since the first time; and it should works normally (i can close the browser while it sending emails in the background).

Any other suggestions what have caused the issue?

Thanks.
    ms

• Hi @marwazihs,

I can only think of cron jobs not working correctly for your issue. I last tested sending 15,000 emails in 11 minutes with 1.1.5.1 on EC2 micro instance.

Can you run the cron reset script to troubleshoot:

1. Go to http://your_sendy_installation_url/reset-cron.php and reset cron statuses
    2. Create new campaign, then click "Save & Next" to go to the "Define Recipients" page
    3. You will see the cron setup instructions at the bottom. Wait around 5 mins (make sure your cron job is set to run every 5 minutes, eg. */5). Refresh the page to see if the instructions are still there. If it is still there, your cron job isn't working.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi @Ben,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to run the reset script as above but no such file (reset-cron.php) in the directory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5nek7pwij9rnal/Amazon-Cloud-ec2-user.jpg

Above link is the screenshot of my amazon console. As you can see, i have managed to set the cron job and it shows when I run crontab -l command - and the "instruction was not showing anymore". Also, it show that no reset-cron.php ini the directory... or should I update to 1.1.5.2 first?

Regards,
    ms

• Hi @marwazihs,

If reset-cron.php is not in your directory, you're not on 1.1.5.

I suggest downloading the latest version and upload/replace all files in your Sendy directory (except the /includes/config.php and uploads folder of course).

Then verify that you have cron job setup. Try using sudo crontab -l to see if your cronjob is still there. If not, use sudo crontab -e to install the necessary cron job(s).

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.