Skip to content

Cron job question

edited March 2013 in Questions

I have setup my cron job through www.setcronjob.com and everything is appearing correctly in sendy with the scheduling. However, when I go to send email in Sendy it simply gets stuck in preparing and indicator keeps spinning. I have to manually go and type in the www.mydomain/sendy/scheduled.php to execute the job, then it sends...

any ideas as to why?

I'm on a shared server if that helps you.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• If I set the schedule to 10 minutes from now, it sends no problem. By having the cron job setup, do I have to send all my emails at a predetermined time?

• Hi @dvspro,

You need to set your cronjob at every 5 minutes interval (as specified in Sendy's cron job instructions). Otherwise you may have problems sending or scheduling emails.

Thanks.

Ben

• yes, Its set for 5 minutes - same issues

• 0 (0%) Preparing to send..

• Hi @dvspro,

Visit http://your_sendy_installation_url/reset-cron.php to reset your installation's cron status.

Then create a test campaign. At the 'define recipients' page, you'll see the cron job setup instructions. If this cron job setup instructions doesn't disappear in 5 mins, your external cron job is not executing the scheduled.php script. Check and verify that your external cron job is setup correctly.

Thanks.

Ben

• it has disappeared....strange as the issues are still occurring.

• it has disappeared

If the cron job setup instructions disappeared, then your external cron job executes scheduled.php successfully. Then there is no reason your emails cannot be sent.

scheduled.php is working as expected and there are no known bugs that prevents it from sending emails.

From your original comment,

I have to manually go and type in the www.mydomain/sendy/scheduled.php to execute the job, then it sends...

This means that scheduled.php is working as it should without any problems. So I have no idea why it doesn't work when scheduled.php is executed by your external cron job.

Ben

• Ben- on a side note, my host (GoDaddy) only allows me 10 cron jobs- at a specific minute for each hour- meaning I can set up 10 jobs at 5 minute intervals, from x:0-x:45, and then have a 15-minute down time, or I can set it for every 6 minutes and get around-the-hour coverage. Is there anything specific about 5-minute intervals, or is it just being "safe" and I"m probably fine with 6-minute intervals?

Thanks!

• @Zoomcake Here's how to set "per 5 mins" cron job on GoDaddy's shared server http://sendy.co/discussion/177/cron-job-on-godaddy/p1 (see the last reply)

• That's fantastic- thanks!

This discussion has been closed.