Skip to content

Someone is subscribing people to my newsletter without my (or their) approval

edited January 2017 in Questions

Hello,

After being suspended by Amazon not two weeks ago, I just saw a very suspicious message. I've been getting subscribers that complain about they never subscribing to the list before and now I am seeing a couple of subscribers from sites like "info@apple.com" etc. I mean, these can't be a coincidence. It seems like someone (or a bot) is subscribing people to my email list without their approval.

Is there any way I can add a double-check process before the subscription becomes approved? So people can either opt-in or out before they get subscribed?

And as a side question, how could this be happening? I am using the form generated by the system and haven't touched anything since 2014.

Comments

• Hi,

Is there any way I can add a double-check process before the subscription becomes approved?

Set your list to 'double opt-in’ so that the recipient need to click a confirmation link to confirm their subscription before becoming ‘Active’ on the list. You can visit the list’s settings to change the list to ‘Double opt-in’.

And as a side question, how could this be happening?

Any online forms can be filled in and submitted by anyone including robots. If you build your own subscription form using Sendy’s API (https://sendy.co/api) you can also also build in CAPTCHA to prevent robots from automatically subscribing to your form. If you have no programming expertise, turning on ‘Double opt-in’ is good enough for now.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

This discussion has been closed.