Skip to content

Campaign sends at thrice the number of subscribers in the list...

rsarsa
edited November 2012 in Troubleshooting
Hi,
I just installed and configured sendy. I imported my constant contact list, and put it in three different lists
I just sent of a mail campaign to the first of these lists.. to about 19331 subscribers... I saw the campaign complete , and on checking back later (about a couple of hours, ) I see the campaign marked as SENT but still the number climbing - 63,672 and increasing......My amazon ses dashboard corroborated this number..
HELP! Is it sending out to all lists ? (I do have over 130K contacts over different lists), or multiple mails to the same contacts???
RSA

Comments

• Just about the time I posted this, I got the campaign complete mail..

Your campaign has been sent!

Your campaign has been successfully sent to 19341 recipients!

Campaign: the U18 Online eMBA
    Recipients: 19341

and magically, the number of sends on the sendy campaign report changed to the correct number 19K odd.

BUT, both the sendy and the amazon SES dashboard of course shows the closer to correct number of sends -- heres sendy's

Sent last 24hrs: 59,341

and heres Amazon

59341 Sent

I dont know whats going on!
  • Ok.. I now get another Campaign Sent mail ...

Your campaign has been sent!

Your campaign has been successfully sent to 17689 recipients!

Campaign: the U18 Online eMBA
    Recipients: 17689

Could this be because I clicked on the 'Resume' link a couple of times???
  • Another unrelated error - the system doesnt seem to catch Bounces... AWS confirms a few hundred bounces, but none show up in the campaign report.
  • Hi,

What version are you using?

How many times did you click Resume? And are you absolutely sure that sending stopped before you confirm the 'confirmation alert' to resume?

Did you setup cron to send emails? If you did, you don't have to click 'Resume' to resume sending if sending stopped because of server time out as cron will automatically resume when sending times out. Unless you're using an older version of Sendy that does not support 'auto resume'.

"the system doesnt seem to catch Bounces"
    Sendy does catch bounces. Can you verify that bounces & complaints has been setup at SNS and SES http://sendy.co/get-started
  • Hi,
    I just bought Sendy 3 days ago, so whatever version was the latest download , I guess thats where I am.
    I may have jumped the gun by clicking resume.. I didnt make sure.. Just saw the number not going up for a minute or so, so resumed. The cron has been setup....
    On the bounce and complaint handling setup.. My apologies.. I seemed to have skipped that bit in the getting started email. Have made the required config changes, shall see if this works.
    But can clicking Resume w/o reason actually cause it to send thrice????
  • Hi,
    As advised, I configured the SNS channels. I sent another campaign to another list of 19K odd subscribers, and stayed away from the resume button.
    Now, My aws send stats show a total of 108525 sends today, up from the 60K odd from the first send. The campaign should have showed only 19K additional sends, but seem to now have shown more than twice the amount...
    I dont get this..
    Please help.
    Regards
    RSA
  • Hi,

It's good to note that your SES quota does not update immediately. The period between your first and second send was short. The only reason I can think of is that your SES quota was not updated completely before your second send. So when your second campaign was sent, your SES quota increases as a result of the second send as well as the first one, leading you to think that the second send was twice the amount.

Sendy does not 'oversend'. Also, if there are multiple duplicate emails between lists, Sendy will only send to that email once.
  • Hi
    The Sendy campaign listing also showed about 40k sends against second campaign...where it should have showed only 19K odd. and then it corrected to the actual figure about an hour later.
    If I put in a plain text version of the mail on the plain text box at the time of campaign design, what impact will that have?
    Will that make sendy send both html and plain text separately?
    Regards
  • BenBen
    edited November 2012
    Are you using 1.1.1.4? Can you please check your installation's footer to see what the version is? There was a bug with an older version of Sendy that increments the recipient count incorrectly.

When you include a plain text version, Sendy will not send 2 emails per subscriber. Sendy sends 'multi-part' emails, meaning 1 email with both plain text and html versions. If the subscriber's email client does not support HTML, the plain text version will be shown.
This discussion has been closed.