Skip to content

Merge tag without fallback

edited January 2013 in Suggestions

Hi Ben,

Would it be possible to have a merge tag without fallback required?

This is because our clients' lists have got the fields all filled up and they do not need any fallback.

Currently, when they do [Name], the mail merge doesn't work without the fallback bit. So their email is being sent out as Dear [Name] instead for those with a name.

Comments

• Hi @shadow, except for the [Email] tag, you'll need to include ,fallback= even if you don't want to include any fallback.

• edited January 2013

Hi Ben, noted on that. Hope that you can consider allowing just the plain tag without ,fallback= to work as well.
    Thank you.

• I would also suggest the creation of a [FirstName] tag, because several users fill their entire name on the sign up form. I don't think it would be that complicated to extract only the first word from the entire name (perhaps a split()[0] could do the trick).

Thanks in advance!

• @shadow Yes I'll take that into consideration, thanks.

@janiosarmento You can use the default [Name,fallback=] tag as the first name, then create a custom field for the last name, eg. [LastName,fallback=].

I don't think it would be that complicated to extract only the first word from the entire name

That's a good suggestion but it may not work for names from certain races with opposite first/last name sequences.

• Would like the FirstName option, seems a bit to over formal by using the Name (Full Name ) :)

• BenBen
    edited January 2013

Hi @KevinB,

Use the default [Name,fallback=] tag as the first name then create a custom field for the last name, eg.
    [LastName,fallback=]. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Ben,

I tried using Hi [Name, fallback=]! in the "Thank you email" setup for one of my lists. It does not work... my test emails still shows Hi [Name, fallback=]!. Any ideas/suggestions?

• Hi @spulp,

Personalization tags aren't supported in the 'Thank you email' setup in list settings.

Use autoresponders. Setup a 'Drip campaign' and send the user a welcome email 'immediately' after sign up.

Not only can you use personalization tags in autoresponders, you get to see a report of all emails sent out as well. Bounces will also be caught if an email is invalid.

Thanks.

Ben

• +1 for [FirstName]

• @derivativemedia

Use [Name,fallback=] for first name then create a custom field for [LastName,fallback=].

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.