Skip to content

CSV only imports after removing a few lines

edited February 2013 in Troubleshooting

OK like many others, try as i might I cannot get my CSV files to upload, i keep getting the same error:

"Number of columns in CSV does not match CSV format example (as shown below)."

Firstly, I split my 60K list into 6 10k files, so i can use each one within the 10k limit. Initially i was creating 3 extra custom fields, but when that didn't work I then tried with only Name and Email, but still no success. I then copied just 10 records from a file and pasted into a clean CSV file, all have Name and EMail with no comma after the email, exactly like so:

Alyssa Birley,a.jarilyn18@hoxxxxxil.com
Annika Jarring,a.jarring@brxxxt.com
Tony Johnson,a.johnson@shxxxxxld.ac.uk
Ann Johnson,a.johnson280@ntxxxxld.com
George Wright,27137@taxxxxxk.net
Mohammed Eldewieh,2be4all@gmxxxl.com
Marilyn Halstead,2becky@sxxxy.com
Marie Bluts,2bluts@laxxxxte.net
Martin Connolly,2mconnolly@eixxxxxm.net
Martyn Wells,2mrwells@gooxxxxail.com

But it still does not work and i get the same error. Weirdly, if i delete the last 5 from the above, it DOES work!! And yet i can see no difference between the first 5 and the last 5.

Please help and tell me why it's not formatted correctly - i've spent hours trying to figure this out!!

thanks
Allan

Comments

• Hi @allanw,

Please PM me a download link to your CSV file so that I can try it on my side.

Thank you.

Ben

• Hi Ben

Not sure how to PM you on here... and also, our data is private so i can't send you the whole 10k file.

Below are a sample of 10 records for you to try:

Alyssa Birley,a.jarilyn18@hoxxxxxil.com
    Annika Jarring,a.jarring@brxxxt.com
    Tony Johnson,a.johnson@shxxxxxld.ac.uk
    Ann Johnson,a.johnson280@ntxxxxld.com
    George Wright,27137@taxxxxxk.net
    Mohammed Eldewieh,2be4all@gmxxxl.com
    Marilyn Halstead,2becky@sxxxy.com
    Marie Bluts,2bluts@laxxxxte.net
    Martin Connolly,2mconnolly@eixxxxxm.net
    Martyn Wells,2mrwells@gooxxxxail.com

or if you tell me how to PM i can send you a larger list of 100 as a CSV for you to try.

cheers
    Allan

• Hi @allanw,

I can import all 10 though:

Ben

• thanks Ben - i copied and pasted the 10k into the "Add email per line" box and this worked... still puzzled as to why it failed on the CSV before though

• You're welcome. I'm not sure why, probably something to do with the unobfuscated emails, the ones that I have been provided are obfuscated and I don't have your full CSV file so I can't really pinpoint the issue.

This discussion has been closed.