Skip to content

addon to the closed topic Bounces and complaints not being registered - workaround

edited March 2013 in Troubleshooting

Ok in the below text that is not what happened to me. And unless I am the only one I believe others may experience the same issue. I followed your steps exactly. They are written very well and are very clear. When I went back to SES there was no topic to select ie bounces or complaints in the drop down that I previously created in SNS. I followed your guide to the T and I did it many multiple times. And I write process docs for a living. I know how to follow instructions, and I spent 3-4 days messing with it.

The only way I got it to work was I had to follow the process as I outlined in the closed post,

The guide currently says(*note I added the a. and b. to help with clarity.): (when you get back to SES from SNS)

a. Select your email address. Then click the tab, Feedback Details at the bottom and then click Edit Configuration. b. Under SNS Configuration, click the Bounces drop down menu and select bounces (which is what you've created previously in your SNS console).

Before i could get that to happen I had to create the topic both in SNS and SES before bounces or complaints would show up in the drop down. so following a. on the edit configure pop up it says "create new topic". Click it then add your topic bounces and save just like you did in SNS. Then it will show up in the drop down as in the picture on the guide and you can proceed. you have to repeat this for complaints create a topic for complaints too. This fixed my issues maybe will fix yours too good luck.

By creating the topic in SES as well then I could see the topic in the drop down to select. If you want to lock the post and dismiss my experience go ahead just trying to help others who are following your instructions and running into road blocks.

Your statement in my case was false. "There is no need for any workarounds, just follow the Get Started Guide sequentially and everything will be setup correctly." I followed the guide to the T and it was missing key information to get my Sendy to work.

Nice software, well written guide, please don't be so dismissive I am trying to help you with some feedback..Going back to work now this is meant as constructive criticism edit it how you want so others do not end up like I did stuck following the guide that was missing info.

Good luck.

Hi @Signetman,

Sendy will instantly confirm the subscription. That didn't happen for me, instead I got this message:

The message you got tells you that a confirmation message has been sent to the endpoint (includes/campaigns/bounces.php and includes/campaigns/complaints.php). These two scripts will instantly confirm your subscription via CURL the moment this message shows up. That is why in Sendy's Get Started Guide, it says "Sendy will instantly confirm the subscription". The confirmation is instant.

a. Select your email address. Then click the tab, Feedback Details at the bottom and then click Edit Configuration. b. Under SNS Configuration, click the Bounces drop down menu and select bounces (which is what you've created previously in your SNS console).

Before i could get that to happen I had to create the topic both in SNS and SES before bounces or complaints would show up in the drop down.

The sequence in Step 7 & 8 in the Get Started Guide begins by asking you to create an SNS topic first, followed by an SNS subscription. So when you get back to your SES console, you will see your SNS topic in the drop down list when you go to the Feedback tab.

There is no need for any workarounds, just follow the Get Started Guide sequentially and everything will be setup correctly.

Thanks.

Ben

Comments

• Hi @Signetman,

I left your discussion opened for a while, didn't get a reply so I closed it. Please don't get me wrong for being dismissive.

I have setup bounces and complaints countless times and were able to set it up in under a minute, not days. I am curious, did you follow steps 1 to 4 in Step 7 & 8 of the Get Started Guide before proceeding to step 5 (the one you labelled as a. and b.) and onwards? If you did, the bounces and complaints SNS topics will show up in the drop down menu. Select them respectively and you're done.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Ben

• Yes I followed all steps carefully and exactly and no bounces or complaints showing up in the drop down. I went back to SNS deleted all topics and discussions - recreated them again per the guide and tried again nothing in the drop down. I went back through the entire guild starting with step 1 and carefully re-read everything making sure i missed no steps along the way.My domain had not yet been verified due to delays with DNS so I waited couple days until DNS had finished verifying my domain and tried again thinking maybe that was hosing it up. same results nothing in the drop down. I went to the forums here to see if i could find any solution and found the post regarding adding email adress to config.php which i did - nothing - Deleted everything again - topics and discussions in SNS a couple more times just to make sure and the last time when I was in SES after I had created the topics and subscriptions in SNS again. I looked in the drop down in SES nothing then i noticed a link with the option to create a topic in SES, I clicked it. A box opened exactly as it does in SNS I created the topic in exactly the same way and wallah "bounces" showed up in the drop down. I repeated the same process for complaints and instantly the drop down had complaints and all lights went green. Works good so far.

Not sure what the deal is or was maybe I should try to repeat using another topic and see if I still have issues. Not sure what that would resolve, but i would be happy to help. Just for info, I use firefox as my browser, but I tried the whole process in IE too just for giggles same result.

I don't know what to tell you but maybe this will help someone else down the road who is expecting to see bounces show up in the drop down but its not there. simple work around. click the create topic link in SES and create it again done.
    Good luck and thanks for listening.

• Hi @Signetman,

Thanks for your clarification. I suspect when you created the SNS topics in your SNS console, US East (N. Virginia) wasn't selected as the region on the top right drop down menu? If SNS topics were created in other regions, it won't show up in SES Feedback Details tab as SES only supports US East SNS topics.

Thanks for your post and wanting to help future users. I think this post would be helpful for users who unknowingly had other regions selected when creating SNS topics.

Thanks once again.

Ben

• You are right Ben, The region on SNS is Oregon. Should I delete the topics and subscriptions i have now and use the US east one? The guide is a lil vague on this point it says make sure the regions are the same but ses on my says global and no option to change that. On SNS it is Oregon there is no option for global. I never changed it, it is what it was when i started. Or at least I believe that is true.

• Hi @Signetman,

Should I delete the topics and subscriptions i have now and use the US east one?

You probably should. Create SNS topics from US east for bounces & complaints. Then select them in SES console under 'Feedback Details' for your desired email / domain.

The guide is a lil vague on this point it says make sure the regions are the same but ses on my says global and no option to change that

I'll change the copy for the following portion so that it's more clear. SES servers only reside in the US east currently, there're no other regions. Hence, SNS topics have to be set in the US east. I did not state that because SES not being available in other regions is only temporary.

Ben

• I've just changed the copy in the Get Started Guide. Thanks for raising this up, otherwise I wouldn't know if anything was unclear. I appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.