Get answers quicker by searching

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What hosting server do you use with Sendy?
  • I'm trying to install in a shared hosting sendy but in my case I am having some problems. Ben told me about "Amazon EC2", but is a little bit complicated to set up. I would like to know if you're using VPS hosting or shared hosting. Could anyone advise a good solution (quality/price) for VPS and/or shared hosting?

Thank you so much!

M.

• 167 Comments
  • I highly recommend Eleven2. Best out there for price and services.
    http://bit.ly/vvU5lu

• Vote Up0Vote Down efuentesefuentes

Hello,

I use a VPS with Hostgator and run very well with Sendy,

Try: http://bit.ly/WtVlRN

The support is excellent 24/7. I have my VPS from 2 years ago.

Regards,

EF.

• Thank you for reply! Maybe the first option is a little bit expensive anyway I will take a look.

• I use Liquidweb and couldn't be happier.

• Vote Up0Vote Down BenBen

I think it's a good thread for others to learn what host people are using to host Sendy. I've just pinned this thread.

We run Sendy on MediaTemple dedicated virtual server. Also did a lot of tests on Amazon EC2 (micro instance) and performance was great.

Update: I have migrated Sendy over to Linode, performance is the best compared to what I've ever used so far.

• Unless you're running a massive 5 or 6 figure list, I'd also recommend getting a free micro instance on Amazon EC2. It's free for a year for new signups and will run Sendy without issue.

There isn't a hosting solution out there that meets or surpasses AWS in terms of price, performance, flexibility and options. Period. Nobody houses everything under one roof, nor do they do it as well. Not GoDaddy. Not HostGator. Not Rackspace. No one.

The caveat is that you need to know how to setup a server or hire someone who does which you can do relatively inexpensively on oDesk.

• Thank you so much! I'll take a look at these suggestions. Thank you Ben, I think it's important to know more solution and if sendy works properly with each server (vps or shared).

@vincentpolisi I think that AmazonEc2 is a interesting solution but is a little bit complicated to set up.

• Amazon EC2 Spot Instance - Bitnami LAMP Stack AMI

• @markosana It only seems complicated because you've never done it and you are dealing with an "instance" instead of an actual dedicated server. AWS uses their own nomenclature for things that the industry does not. For example, an instance is equivalent to a VPS. You can scale as needed, up, down, across. You can have it done automatically in the event you hit the front page of Reddit and need the power and bandwidth. They can take care of your DNS, CDN, Elastic Load Balancing, MySQL databases, Sendy etc. Like many professional Internet marketers, I've made the rounds in search of the "perfect" host. AWS is by far the best I've experienced. The downside, if you want to look at it that way, is that you have to take a few moments to understand how to get things functional in their environment but this isn't really any different than going with GoDaddy, Rackspace, HostGator, etc., and being thrown into their proprietary and limiting setups and being forced to use cPanel or Plesk. With Amazon, you don't have the restrictions you do with the other providers. You need something modified to fit a particular application and you simply do it. You don't have to go through 9 levels of tech support to get PHP5 or mod_rewrite setup. You just do it. Have you ever SSH'ed into a server and/or setup a LAMP stack?

• Vote Up0Vote Down BenBen

@markosana @vincentpolisi And you will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you successfully get everything to work. :)

• Vote Up0Vote Down junoninojunonino

I have unlimited hosting w hostgator, would Sendy not work with this set up? Do I need a VPS to host it? I plan on sending emails for clients. Thanks for your help.

• @Junonino I am using Sendy on one of Hostgator's shared hosting plan and I have not encountered any problem so far. However, I have a quite small list of around 30,000 subscribers. So if your list is not that huge then I suggest that you can still go ahead with Hostgator.

• We're running Sendy on MediaTemple's Gridserver. Works great except the admin session was timing out very quickly. Seems like it's a (gs)-specific problem, to fix you edit /home/xxxxxx/etc/php.ini & set session.save_path = /home/xxxxxx/data/tmp ... where xxxxxx is your MT account number. More info here: http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/235/Why+am+I+experiencing+session+errors?#gs

• Vote Up0Vote Down jackjack

We are using VM on Azure, Ubuntu, Runs great

• Vote Up0Vote Down tommyenttommyent

DigitalOcean runs great and cheap

• Vote Up0Vote Down ieroiero

im using http://www.skateHosting.com, is responding very well

• Vote Up0Vote Down temmokantemmokan

Xen VPS on Virpus. Works fine.

• Vote Up0Vote Down addactiveaddactive

Shared hosting at 5quidhost.co.uk - we might move it when we've finished testing using Sendy, but we're impressed with both so far.

• Vote Up0Vote Down addactiveaddactive

Actually, we found that our basic hosting ran out of resources pretty quickly when not mailing using cron. Upgrading a live database driven site is never completely straightforward, so I'd recommend spending a little more right from the start.

• Vote Up0Vote Down iThomasiThomas

Please contact us at http://www.hosthese.com if you need hosting suited for Sendy. We've developed a tailor made environment which perfect fits for sendy.

• Vote Up0Vote Down pliskentpliskent

I have used tilaa.nl servers few years now. Those work excellent and support works super. I have setup with Debian and installed all by my self. Vps options are: Memory 3072 MB Storage 20 GB CPU cores 2 × 2.4 Ghz @ 80%

Price tag 23eur / month

• Vote Up0Vote Down ParkerParker

@markosansa

I'm using EC2, it's not really hard to set up - as long as you're somewhat comfortable in a command line.

• Vote Up0Vote Down cmercmer

I'm using Site5. They're very affordable and reliable. I also use them for a couple small Wordpress sites I own and they've been the best share hosting provider I ever used so far. Highly recommended. (not affiliated with them, just a happy customer)

• Vote Up0Vote Down zairinozairino

Using EC2 two instance one for the application ( with autoscaling ) and one for the mysql

• Vote Up0Vote Down ianwianw

Anyone used (or tried) a shared hosting provider that is using FreeBSD?

• Vote Up0Vote Down joltisjoltis

We are on shared hosting with www.godaddy.com & facing issues like timeout ! What is recommended

• I have Sendy on a Xeon 3Ghz, 24Gb, 300Gb SAS Drive dedicated server simply because it needs to be reliable for me, I have over 200 brands and hundreds of thousands of members in my lists combined.

I have a few clients who use there own install on simple 1Gb VPS on Debian 6 which run fine for lists less than 50,000.

• Vote Up0Vote Down SteveJSteveJ

Hosting on our own Unix dedicated server, an "older" Dell 2650 running CentOS 5, with updated PHP and MySQL from the Remi repo. Runs like a champ. :)

• Vote Up0Vote Down isaacadamsisaacadams

Is it the same price if you host Sendy on a EC2 instance in Virginia, as say, a dedicated server like MMV (Mac Mini Vault) ?

I never switched my database over when I signed up with MMV, b/c I thought I remembered reading somewhere that its cheaper to host with EC2 in VA, saving you data transfer rates... maybe I was reading too much into it. Thinking dollars, when its actually cents.

Thanks!

• Vote Up0Vote Down awsnetawsnet

If you are looking for a low cost high performance Linux solution we recommend Digital Ocean. Plans start at $5 a month and the storage is solid state, SSD. You can start with a $5 instance and scale as needed. The $5 instance only has 512M of memory, so make sure you enable swap. Since the storage is SSD the swap is very fast.

• Vote Up0Vote Down damo4udamo4u

If you are searching for an economical VPS server with locations near Amazon's SES servers.. Then go for http://bit.ly/ZmWL8t ( VPS.net ) server .. 1 node starts at 14$ only.. Cloud setup instantly and goes live in minutes.. I am using it for my SES account with sending limit of 500 email/sec .. works fine for me.. Check out plans here : http://bit.ly/ZmWL8t ;

Please find our unlimited All-in auto updated pre-installed dedicated Sendy hosting offer here : http://www.hosthese.com/webhosting/sendy-hosting/

• Vote Up0Vote Down crystalasiacrystalasia

iThomes, interesting hosting plan indeed, but can you tell us more about performance in term of max send rate expectation ? For example right now my theoretical Amazong - Max send rate is 28 per sec , but I got "only" 5 per sec on my current hosting (EC2)

Hi crystalasia, please feel free to test-use our environment. We increase our dedicated infrastructure in function of the usage by our customers. If you would like to have a 14-days trial account, please contact me.

• I've just got myself up and running on AWS with a T1.Micro instance of the Amazon Linux AMI.

• Vote Up0Vote Down OrangeOrange

Softlayer. Excellent as expected but not cheap.

• Vote Up0Vote Down denisbkkdenisbkk

Im using Godaddy shared hosting. Runs fine with Sendy, the cron job can be setup also. but its slow (to do with Godaddy, not Sendy ). For me its OK as I just have it running in the background and its OK the sending takes a while.

• I use digital ocean @ $5 / month and it works amazing :)

• Hi @ iThomas, Can i get a 14-days trial account to try sendy on??

• Mediatemple. Sendy works smooth as a wistle.

• Vote Up0Vote Down selloutssellouts

We are using DigitalOcean with the cheapest $5 plan. Working wonderfully.

• Vote Up0Vote Down BraunsonBraunson

Dreamhost

• Vote Up0Vote Down GTNITGTNIT

Deployed on Jelastic @ ServInt. What a breeze!

• Successfully deployed on Heroku on a free tier ($0 per month). I wrote a guide if anybody is interested.

https://gist.github.com/danielepolencic/6983030

• Vote Up0Vote Down RomainRomain

It works on OVH shared hosting (but requires an external cron tool)

• Vote Up0Vote Down andriyandriy

I use it on 1and1 dedicated server with superb results. / before this used it on 1and1 Dynamic Cloud server with great results as well.

• We use Linode with Ubuntu 12.04 running Nginx. After a little tweaking of the server config and ini files, every work perfect even the previews.

• dreamhost shared plan NO P at all

• Vote Up0Vote Down syanidesyanide

ben using linode what plan would you recommend if you have a 20k list and mail out 1-2 times a day max