Get answers quicker by searching

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What hosting server do you use with Sendy?
  • 194 Comments
  • Vote Up0Vote Down josho493josho493

I'm using a Linode 1GB plan and have no issues sending to lists of 15K plus.

I'm assuming that it's mostly the send rate that contributes to resource usage, not as much list size. So I thought I'd post some screenshots of my resource usage at 14/emails a second so new users could see what load to expect. Obviously at 10:40 is when the sending started. Even with Sendy running the server is very functional and if I didn't know it was running, I probably wouldn't even notice the minimal speed slowdown.

CPU Use Network /Disk Use

• Vote Up0Vote Down YmmiesYmmies

Hi,

I am looking for a reliable hosting that is both economical and efficient. Could you please recommend one?

my plan: about 400K subscribers 1M emails per month

I have read a lot about Amazon EC2 which seems to be a very good deal, but there are some issues that put me off a little bit. For example some users are dealing with really slow sending via EC2.

I am looking for an option that allows me to send 50-100 emails / sec ... is it even possible?

Thank you.

• Vote Up0Vote Down BenBen

@Ymmies Amazon EC2 servers aren't slow, it depends what tier you're using and what region versus the SES region you're using (both must be the same region for optimal speed).

There're many recommendations here you can look at.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Vote Up0Vote Down ironbotironbot

We at EasySendy, use DigitalOcean droplets, hosted near to US. They are quite fast and reliable.

• Vote Up0Vote Down nimonoginimonogi

I use a small Cloud Server from Brontobytes

• We use VPS from Softlayer. Performs great!

• Vote Up0Vote Down KimeraLiveKimeraLive

At KimeraLive.com we focus on Sendy without SES using optimized SMTP servers in the same DC as the Sendy Application Server, bounce handling included. Free 1000 deliveries if you want to check it out. www.kimeralive.com

• Vote Up0Vote Down DesmondDesmond

+1 for Hostgator. http://bit.ly/1DKRh8i I would recommend the VPS however over the shared options. Tech Support is excellent. I often use the online chat and they are happy to help on lots of issues. I have also tried Rackspace (dropped because way too expensive and Dreamhost (tech support only via slowish email and my Wordpress sites seemed to get hacked far too often). Never had any issue with Hostgator.

• Vote Up0Vote Down jasonjason

what aws ec2 instance type is suitable for 90/sec or higher? please recommend instance type.

• Vote Up0Vote Down bigjimmybigjimmy

I'm using digitalocean $5 plan, Sendy runs a fine. But seems like my max send rate now is about 1 email per every 3 second. (although my SES rate is 14 email/sec). tried to upgrade to $20 plan, but only made Sendy run faster, but not the send rate.

@bigjimmy Sending speed depends on a number of factors. Please see → http://sendy.co/troubleshooting#sending-speed to learn about sending speed.

• Vote Up0Vote Down neilhesterneilhester

Godaddy shared hosting, 50,000 mail recipient limit with Amazon web services, takes 24 hours to send to 40.000 subscribers but its usually all good.

• Vote Up0Vote Down RobboMRobboM

I am suing it on a Centos 6.64 Linux box at LiquidWeb.com

• Vote Up0Vote Down pauloraypauloray

I am running Sendy in a VPS with 2GB RAM together with my other websites and the sending rate is very low. I cannot reach my SES sending rate of 14 emails/sec. I am trying to send 46K emails but after 8hours, it has just sent 9K (still continuing). In php.ini, I already set this to 1GB.

Do you have any suggestions on the settings that I need to update on my VPS?

• Vote Up0Vote Down azraelitoazraelito

Hi!

www.trinahost.com

• Vote Up0Vote Down qotqot

We are on Knownhost SSD hosting

• Vote Up0Vote Down jim2564jim2564

I have a reseller account with Hostgator. I don't have a large list yet, so sending isn't an issue.

• I simply couldn't get the cron jobs to run reliably in my hosting VPS - they have a very strict security model that was not compatible with sendy.

So I created the following to run my list of almost 3,000 members using sendy and SES.

Amazon EC2 Instance N. Virginia.

t2.micro free instance for 1 year. Can get 1Gb RAM if you choose the HVM version of Bitnami.

Using the Bitnami HVM AMI

bitnami-lampstack-5.5.25-0-linux-ubuntu-14.04.1-x86_64-hvm

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00NNZUY96/ref=srh_res_product_title?ie=UTF8&sr=0-8&qid=1439775790029

Use System Log under Actions in the AWS console to see the root password that is echoed at startup. This will allow you access to mysql to create the sendy database etc.

I created a new subdomain for sendy so the EC2 instance just handles the subscribe/unsubscribe and sends the emails to SES when sendy runs. Left my blog at my existing site name. Sendy license worked just fine in new subdomain without needing to ask for an update.

I installed adminer as I can't stand phpmyadmin anymore. (www.adminer.org)

This is what my crontab entries look like

*/5 * * * * /opt/bitnami/php/bin/php //opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/MYINSTALL/scheduled.php > /dev/null 2>&1 */5 * * * * /opt/bitnami/php/bin/php //opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/MYINSTALL/autoresponders.php > /dev/null 2>&1

I just tar'red up my sendy install and used ssh copy to move it and adminer to export the DB and import it back again on the new site.

I underestimated how important a well functioning cron is to sendy - you have to have one for sendy to work properly. EC2 gives you so much more freedom to control your server now compared to a locked down hosting environment. Mind you, you are responsible for the security of it all now.

So anyway it works well enough. Not spectacularly fast, only around 2 sent a second but that is enough for me for now. I can send up to 14 a second apparently but so far seeing nothing like that.

I have normally around a dozen links in each email so Sendy has to create a unique link for each one for each user and send them each to SES so perhaps that is slowing it down.

Compared to paying $30 a month to mailchimp, sendy and SES are a much better option. Especially for a low volume list - and for a year for free with AWS.

So that is my story. Interested to hear if others are achieving a higher send rate with t2.micro on EC2 ?

• Vote Up0Vote Down scookescooke

Another Digital Ocean user here, using the $10 plan, running Ubuntu 14.04, Apache, MySQL, and virtual hosts for the Sendy domain. If you are unsure about how to set Sendy up (and this probably means setting up a server in general is a challenge), then DO is great for the many tutorials and forum help available. I would add that using an existing email lessens the challenge: Using your domain's email address means all kind of trickery to get it set up and approved on SES, but using an existing email (like iCloud,com or mac.com) is much simpler since all you need to do is get approved on SES, and approving an email address you already use is easier than trying to get the other stuff set up and sorted out.

• Vote Up0Vote Down scookescooke

One more comment - I would aim to choose a server and stick with it. I appreciate the comments to use the EC2 instance for free for a year, but if you think you will switch away from that after a year, reconsider. Just pay for that EC2 instance. If you are sure you would switch away, then just choose another VPS service right now get used to it, set it up, with Sendy, and then stick with it. Otherwise, you spend a lot of time getting things set up, troubleshooting, tweaking... and then when the year is up you have to do it again but on another platform with likely different specs and challenges. If you have time to spare, then go for it and switch away. If time is precious, learn on one server once. If you are like me you'll forget all the magical things you had to do in the first place to get everything up and running anyway when you go to do it again a year later.

Hi @scooke,

Thanks for sharing.

I just want to clarify a few points for the sake of other users:

If you are unsure about how to set Sendy up (and this probably means setting up a server in general is a challenge), then DO is great for the many tutorials and forum help available

There is no need to install your own server if you don't want or don't know how unless you want to install Sendy on a 'Cloud' server like Amazon EC2, Digital Ocean or Linode etc. Otherwise you can use any hosting servers from any company that are already up and running, eg. MediaTemple, Hostgator, GoDaddy, Bluehost, Hostmonster etc etc.

Using your domain's email address means all kind of trickery to get it set up and approved on SES

That is not true, there's no need for any kind of "trickery" at all.

Verifying a domain in SES is only a matter of adding one TXT record in your domain's DNS. That's it. If you don't want to verify your domain, you can verify just the 'From email' you want to use which is straightforward and easier.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Vote Up0Vote Down shalintjshalintj

Here's a post we wrote basis our experience of hosting Sendy with several web hosting services. Over the past 1 year, we have sent more than 18 million emails and got to engage with more than 1.2 million people as a result of those email campaigns.

In fact, with Sendy, our cost per engagement with a customer was just $0.002 per email.

We have mentioned our process of choosing the right host over here: http://www.blogmehow.com/sendy-hosting-116/ . We hope you find this post helpful.

Image of Sendy - BlogMeHow

Shalin

• Vote Up0Vote Down qeaouqeaou

We used to use Sendy on shared hostgator shared, but the cron jobs limit was an issue. Initially thought the best way to go is to use all Amazon, so SES for email and EC2 for server, but the learning curve was too steep. I was recommended to https://gazellehost.com and we have a shared account, no issues with CRON and used regular shared hosting, they are really good in terms of service too and really know their stuff. Haven't tried yet with 2.04 version. We are sneidng 25-50k every second day via SES N. Virginia

• If someone could produce a tutorial on how to setup Sendy in an cloud instance. I think that would help answer a large number of peoples questions here. Including mine.

• I have been using Sendy on shared Hostgator account for a long time and have not faced any issue yet. I have set up the cron jobs on a third party free website because Hostgator doesn't allow to run cron jobs below every 15 minutes.

• People are talking about Linode a lot here, I am not good a setting up clouds - is there something online that talks about how to do this for people only use to WHM and dedicated Linux / ubunto ?

• DigitalOcean all the way!

• i using digitalocean basic $5 per month hosting ,i have 70,000 list, it very simple ,just choose create droplet ,using image lamps ,and follow the guide from developer sendy ,with some article of digitalocean ,should be no big problem host a clean server, untill now i very happy about the perform ,when sending 70,000 list ,the cpu load around 35 to 40 %.

• Amazon EC2 micro instance because other services were already running there.

• Vote Up0Vote Down GowthamGowtham

I am using digital ocean as my sendy server. I am very satisfied with their service. And you can easily upgrade the server if you wanted to send more emails in the future and Their vps server are very easy to setup. Sign up here : http://do.co/1PjxBQe and get 10$ free credit.

• @Gowtham, @plsharevme : I'm using digitalocean with centos 6.7 ( webserver, php, mysql, phpmyadmin ) . But it's often show error "400 bad request".

Can you help me ?

• Vote Up0Vote Down adammadamm

Another Digital Ocean-er, here. www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=24fd84ef3560 is my referral link if you want $10 (two months on the cheapest package).

I'm using Ubuntu as I wanted a couple of packages that are more recent than Debian's currently providing.

• Vote Up0Vote Down marcelopmarcelop

Hello people! Beyond commenting what is the best hosting provider for Sendy, I'd rather ask what are the best PHP parameters for higher performance.

Let's assume you have a neat VPS, yes, a VPS, shared with a couple other domains but with a cpu load lower than 0.7, with 4 GB RAM, 50 GB SSD disk. PHP 5.6. MySQL 5.6. Apache 2.4.18. Now the cron task may be affected by some PHP params, like:

• memory_limit = 256M
    • max_execution_time = 180
    • max_input_time = 180
    • max_input_vars = 15000
    • implicit_flush = off
    • mysql.connect_timeout = 60
    • post_max_size = 64M

What of these values would you recommend to change in order to be able to send 1 million emails per day thru different Sendy brands in the same install?

Thanks in advance!

• Vote Up0Vote Down alenguavalenguav

Any experience running Sendy.co with Cloudways?

Cloudways is a cloud service provider that install custom templates on the platforms of different providers (Amazon, Google, Digital Ocean and others) however they spend several parts of their website explaining that they have a platform to increase webs apps performance using Nginx, Varnish, Memcached, so I was wondering if using these apps may affect positively or adversely to a Sendy.co installation.

• Vote Up0Vote Down BinareBinare

Serverpilot works with EC2, I personally haven't tried it but just did a ServerPilot/ Sendy install on DigitalOcean. Took me about 15 minutes.

https://serverpilot.io/community/articles/managing-ec2-servers.html

If you do use ServerPilot, be aware of:

https://sendy.co/forum/discussion/6858/cronjobs-not-working#Item_1

• I use HostGator. Not working well at all. They only want 500 messages going out each hour (unless I buy the $89 a monnth plan) and Sendy get's "hung up" even just sending 275 emails.

As for easy of setting anything up, check out fiveer, odesk, or elance for assistance. That is what I did/am doing

• When choosing a hosting service there are many thing to consider of course.

Crons must be set at 1minute in order to schedule messages for your auto responders. (there is a post on this forum regarding crons options)

How many emails the service allows per hour (HostGator, Blue host (are both owned by the same company) and godaddy packages) most often won't let you send out more than 500 (HostGator) an hour/

If you don't like or want to set up the system yourself, there are there hosting services that include the sendy license you've paid for (or programmers you can pay to install it for you on fiveer and elance) that will set it up for you and/or configure the updates that Sendy offers. Sendy will install their program for you, once at $79

What else have you found important when choosing a hosting service (I am also figuring out which one to move my list to)

@MariaMarsala

I use HostGator. Not working well at all. They only want 500 messages going out each hour

Sendy sends emails via Amazon SES API, not via your server. So your host's email sending limits does not apply. It's your Amazon SES daily sending limit that matters when using Sendy. To be able to send however many emails you want per day, request Amazon to raise your daily sending limit to any number you need by filling up this form http://aws.amazon.com/ses/extendedaccessrequest (login required).

Best regards,
    Ben

• Vote Up0Vote Down GowthamGowtham

@MariaMarsala Yes hostgator sending limits doesnot apply to sendy as it uses amazon ses servers for sending emails.

We use Digitalcoean servers. You can try them for free for 1 st month here http://do.co/1PjxBQe If you wanted a managed vps server for sendy you can try out this sendylabs,com service. Hope that helps.

• Vote Up0Vote Down eva2000eva2000

Just purchased and setup sendy today on a 2GB Linode KVM VPS with CentOS 7 and on Centmin Mod LEMP stack installer with Nginx 1.9.10 HTTP/2 SSL based + PHP 7.0.3 + MariaDB 10.0.23 + CSF Firewall :D

thanks @Ben for the awesome work - pretty much flawless setup - wouldn't hurt to throw in a few pretty default or set of templates for sign up forms though or default preset basic no frills HTML template :)

• Vote Up0Vote Down AraAAraA

@Ben Bought Sendy recently, and wondering about which hosting to go with.. I have limited/average knowledge with hosting on a VPS, and familiar with WHM and Cpanel.. I would like to go with Linode.. But using the terminal is new for me..

Would I get any help with Linode hosting from you..?? Or is there a paid option through linode experts (here) to get my hosting set up ? I can do the domain forwarding etc myself.. Just need my Linode hosting for sendy set up..

@AraA Yes I provide installation service for setup of Linode server + Sendy. Email me at hello@sendy.co and I'll send you the details. Thanks.

• Vote Up0Vote Down TomTom

I have sendy running on a free OpenShift account. It was super easy to setup and it's free! Here's a tutorial I wrote about how to do it your self. Should take you about 10 min to setup. https://gist.github.com/wootwoot1234/c2ff93b0cc73eace0bec

• Vote Up0Vote Down dacumendacumen

Running Sendy on a quad-core 3.3ghz dedicated server with 16GB of ram and two hard drives (1x solid state 120GB for system files and 1x 500GB SATA for regular files. Super-slick box with almost nothing on it except Sendy.

• Vote Up0Vote Down mustafamustafa

I have optimized VPS with 4GB RAM + 4GB Swap + SSD + MariaDB etc... for Sendy and no issues sending 28 mail/sec. My VPS also create backups and send to S3 every other day. If you need I can create a hosting package for you and share with you.. Contact me @mustafa or via Twitter: @mustafaerdinc

• Vote Up0Vote Down mzup77mzup77

My client I installed Sendy for is using a shared plan at Network Solutions. I would avoid them like the plague. Awful support and slow as molasses speeds in running scripts. Nothing but trouble since we installed, and pretty much none of it is Sendy's fault! The software is brilliant, it's the details that'll kill you :)

• Vote Up0Vote Down sendyhostsendyhost

Hi,

I would like to present a new Sendy Host service:

https://sendyhost.com

Some key features (apart of everything that Sendy already offers):

• Possibility to get an account on a shared sendyhost, with emails already included. The easiest way to start with sendy.
    • Compatible with other smtp services: mandrill, mailgun and others. (Ask if you need another one).
    • Get your own private Sendy Host with managed hosting.
    • Focus on security and backups. We provide Hourly Backups.
    • We have made some fixes to the core of Sendy (related to PHP7 and UTF8 languages like Spanish, already reported to Ben so the fix will be for everyone soon).
    • We speak Spanish and English, so support can be offered on both languages.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards

Ángel from SendyHost

• Vote Up0Vote Down mpsmps

I use a vps with wired tree. all good so far.

• Vote Up0Vote Down ivailo82ivailo82

Working fine with Digital Ocean for me.

• Vote Up0Vote Down janpatrickjanpatrick

I am using cloud hosting from hostgator. I haven't seen any issue yet